Sunday, January 6, 2013

You've Got A Friend In Me

This past weekend, I got to spend time with my best friend in the world, Connor. Connor and I met two years ago at Boys' State when we were both juniors in high school. We both ran for Governor and - just like in the real world - only one person could be elected. That person was Connor. After losing the election, I didn't pout and just wait for the week to end. I'd already been made Chairman of the Federalist Party and figured "Hey, just cause I lost the Gubernatorial election doesn't mean that I can't support the guy who won it." So, I did just that. I essentially became Connor's shadow, following him nearly everywhere, and doing whatever he needed done. I ran for Lieutenant Governor (and lost) but continued to do everything I could to make Connor's life as easy as possible.

APPARENTLY, this made an impression on him. We began to get to know each other and such, and now we truly are best friends. Being an hour away from each other, we don't get to see each other very often, nor do we get to talk due to our ever-filling schedules. But when we do talk or see each other, we catch up and laugh nearly the entire time we're together. He's someone who I value as a person, and who I would hate to lose.

Now, I could go on and on about how great a friend Connor is, but I won't, for a couple of reasons. The first being that none of you know Connor (with the exception of like two or three people). The second is that that isn't the point of this particular entry.

The point of this entry is to focus on a particular word I've used more than once already: friend.

This meaning of this word has become so...diluted recently. dictionary.com defines the word "friend" as "a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard." But that's not what a friend is. A friend is so much more.

I tend to view friendships as a commitment to another person, a relationship, sometimes more delicate than a significant other. Relationships are my life, even more so than theatre. Most of you know that I am a theatre major. But, if I had to pick between theatre and my relationships, the latter would win every single time.

I just don't understand why it is that people act as though being a friend is so difficult.

Now, bear in mind, being friendly and being a friend are NOT the same thing. Most people are capable of being friendly without too much effort.

Being a friend is about more than just being nice.

Friendships aren't a thing you do when you feel like it. Friendships require sacrifice. They require a willingness to be there at times other than just when it's convenient.

The best thing to help with this point is the Golden Rule: Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Connor treats me with an incredible amount of respect, goes out of his way when I'm a guest in his home, and welcomed me into his life without a moment's hesitation. I can only hope I've been as good to him as he has to me.

"Oh the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are -- chaff and grain together -- certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with the breath of kindness blow the rest away." - Dinah Mulock

No comments:

Post a Comment