Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Life Happens

There is nothing more frustrating or hurtful then being let down.

Getting your expectations built up, anticipating the best, only to have what you were expecting fall through, due to no fault of your own.

It sucks.

I'm talking about commitment in this one.

If you say you're going to do something - DO IT. Don't say, "Yeah, I'll do that!" and then not do what you said you would.

Whenever I commit to do something, I'm doing it, unless an emergency comes up.

For example, as many of you already know, theatre is the one thing in this world I love more than anything else - aside from relationships, as you'll recall from a previous post.

Theatre is an incredibly time consuming activity, between rehearsals with the cast, studying lines and dramaturgical information on your own, going over dance steps, music, and such. It takes up a lot of time. The most recent show I did was a show called The Mystery of Edwin Drood. The show is a very difficult and time-consuming show, taking over 9 weeks of rehearsal. Now, this seems incredibly daunting reading it, and believe me, it was no walk in the park, rehearsing 5 days a week, for about 4 hours a night, it grew incredibly tiresome.

But I was at every rehearsal I said I would be at (with the exception of three due to an emergency room visit.) I'd made a commitment to do everything in my power to be at the rehearsals, and yes, they were a little scattered at times, but believe me when I say that I was there, waiting to hear from the director what we were working on next.

I have a job, like most people. And no, my job is not the most fun place in the world. It's pedantic and monotonous. But I'm there when I'm scheduled to be. I've gone in sick more than once. I've been there before I've gone to the emergency room on a couple of occasions. I was at work the day my dad had his heart attack. I'd made a commitment to work, so I was there.

I hate being hurt - granted, who doesn't?

But recently, people who've said "Yeah, I'll text you" or "Yeah, we can hang out" or whatever, never manage to follow through. And that sucks.

I understand how life happens - more than most people. But I manage almost always to communicate with whomever I need to. I mean, whether it's returning a call, sending a text or whatever to let them know what's going on.

How hard is that? Maybe I'm expecting too much. I don't think so, though. Kind of ties into my friendship entry.

It's just frustrating having to deal with your hopes getting dashed every day.

"Commitment is an act, not a word." - Jean-Paul Sartre

No comments:

Post a Comment