Superheroes are pretty legit, am I right?
Some of my favorite things in the world are superheroes.
Iron Man, Batman, Captain America.
What is it about these good guys that we love so much?
These often genetically modified, mutated super-humans.
Is it watching them beat up the baddies time and time and time again?
Maybe it's the actors who play them in these movies. Robert Downey, Jr., Christian Bale, Chris Evans, Andrew Garfield's Spiderman, as opposed to Tobey Maguire (cause he was just a freaking wimp).
But, what is it?
Why do we idolize these...people? Because that's ultimately what they are, right? People? I mean, they are all skin and bones, who've essentially been changed due to their own choice or an accident.
I mean, all three of the Hulks (Eric Bana, Edward Norton, Mark Ruffalo) were exposed to the same gamma radiation. Both Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield were bit by a radioactive spider. George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain, Tom Welling and Brandon Routh were all born on Krypton and sent to Metropolis, where they were found by the Kent family and fell for Lois Lane. Lewis G. Wilson, Robert Lowrey, Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney and Christian Bale all watched their parents die, inherited their fortunes, and trained themselves physically and mentally, getting to their optimal position, and fighting The Joker, The Penguin, The Riddler, Two-Face, Bane, Catwoman, and Ra's Al Ghul.
The only thing I can see attracting us to these supers is that they are just that - super. They're not like us.
There is almost nothing I wouldn't give to be viewed in that way. To be considered someone's superhero. To be the guy with the ability to save a Lois Lane, or Mary Jane Parker.
To save a Rachel Dawes, or Pepper Potts would be wonderful.
But, I'm not a multi-billionaire, so I can't afford the awesome technical gadgets that Bruce Wayne can. I've got diseases so I can't build myself up like Tony Stark or Peter Parker. And, as badly as I might want it, I don't have loads of gamma radiation, so I can't be like Bruce Banner.
But, I'd love it if I could.
"I want to be able to fly like a superhero. I won't be happy until I can fly across oceans and cities, saving people from being murdered." - Heather Graham
No comments:
Post a Comment